reminder

Clicking on Pictures will give you the full size version....

Saturday, April 14, 2012

Jesus and Peter

John 21:15) When they had finished breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, "Simon, son of John, do you love me more than these?" He said to him, "Yes, Lord; you know that I love you." He said to him, "Feed my lambs." 16) He said to him a second time, "Simon, son of John, do you love me?" He said to him, "Yes, Lord; you know that I love you." He said to him, "Tend my sheep." 17) He said to him the third time, "Simon, son of John, do you love me?" Peter was grieved because he said to him the third time, "Do you love me?" and he said to him, "Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you." Jesus said to him, "Feed my sheep. 18 Truly, truly, I say to you, when you were young, you used to dress yourself and walk wherever you wanted, but when you are old, you will stretch out your hands, and another will dress you and carry you where you do not want to go." 19) (This he said to show by what kind of death he was to glorify God.) And after saying this he said to him, "Follow me."

When I first read this the context was confusing to me, but later on I read that in the greek there are many words that when translated become the word Love.



One of which is "Agape" or unconditional love


Then another is "Philos" or Brotherly love


reread the following in context


John 21:15) When they had finished breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon, son of John, do you Agape me more than these?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord; you know that I Philos you.” He said to him, “Feed my lambs.” 16) He said to him a second time, “Simon, son of John, do you Agape me?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord; you know that I Philos you.” He said to him, “Tend my sheep.” 17) He said to him the third time, “Simon, son of John, do you Philos me?” Peter was grieved because he said to him the third time, “Do you Philos me?” and he said to him, “Lord, you know everything; you know that I Philos you.” Jesus said to him, “Feed my sheep."


the third time Jesus asks Peter he shifts from the unconditional Agape love to the weaker brotherly Philos love, which Peter grieves because Jesus has reduced his expectations of him, knowing Peter is not ready to give everything to his Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment